PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Kaneweber. Possibly a Lurker with Dangerous Links

Ataraxis
05-23-07, 12:37 PM
I was PMed on multiple accounts a generic text, and in his signature there's a link for freehostia. It looked fishy, so I did a research on kaneweber, and found out that the name is that of a lurker on multiple other forums, who sends links out that make your mouse crash and other such things. Now I can't be sure about this, but I advise people to be careful. If a mod could check it out, I'd feel much safer.

The Valkyrie
05-23-07, 12:56 PM
The situation has been taken care of thanks to Serilliant --- thank you for alerting us to this!

Serilliant
05-23-07, 12:58 PM
All of his sent PMs have been deleted and the account banned. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Edit: Wow, he sent upwards of about 650 PMs. To almost every active member aside from mods and admins, it seems. Very hazardous.

Cyrus the virus
05-23-07, 01:51 PM
How irritating... That sort of thing really sets me off.

Thanks for letting us know, though, and thanks to Serry for slaying the account.

Rith
05-23-07, 01:55 PM
I was wondering why I got that message... Thanks though.

streak101
05-23-07, 02:36 PM
i just can't believe I replied back....boy am I naive....

ApocalypseDolly
05-23-07, 03:02 PM
Eh, I replied too. =P

Yamihara
05-23-07, 07:49 PM
Hahaha. My sis replied to. Poor girl. ;)

I was about to say this about 8 hours ago, but I had limited connection. Thanks for bringing it up, Ataraxis. :)

Feed The Machine
05-23-07, 09:42 PM
Yeah I got a PM from that guy too. I clicked his link 'cuz I was curious. Had no idea that some people have experienced virus issues with him. I'm glad I use a Mac :).

Ataraxis
05-24-07, 07:48 AM
650? That's... a lot more than I expected. Oo

Glad I could be of service. I just hope no one had any problem with the PMs before the slaying.

And don't worry, I would have replied too if I hadn't gotten the exact same PM on five of my accounts, all sent within ten minutes.

hamnat
05-27-07, 12:10 AM
Whew...I'm glad I didn't get a chance to read it...it sends shivers down my spine to know that I could've been a victim. Thanks for the vigilance, Ataraxis!(^_^)